3 Biggest Skinny Guy Mistakes You're Making. Click Here to Avoid Them!
If you are a naturally skinny guys who finds it damn near impossible to gain weight, 9 times out of 10 it’s because you are not eating as much as you think you are. Fact is, if you are in a caloric surplus, you will gain weight…if you fail to gain weight then you just aren’t eating enough, period. Now, I am assuming that your goal is not just to gain weight, but to gain solid muscle mass, right?
Find out how many calories YOU need in order to be in a caloric surplus with my simple hardgainer diet plan. Once you have calculated your calorie and macronutrient intake, it’s time to figure out where you are going to get these calories from. For hardgainers like me, it is very important that we focus on calorie and nutrient dense foods. This simply means that we should focus on foods that are high calorie, but also have good nutritional value. Let’s face it, 300 calories from a donut won’t provide the same nutrients as 300 calories from a chicken breast, brown rice, and some beans.
15 Calorie Dense Foods for Skinny Guys
Using the hardgainer diet plan formula you will have figured out exactly how many calories you will need from protein, carbohydrates, and fats. Now that you know this much, it’s time to give you the top 5 calorie/nutrient dense foods from each macronutrient group so that you can reach your daily caloric requirements with ease and start packing on slabs of muscle, fast.
Protein that’ll make you grow
1. Bison (Buffalo): This protein source is not only leaner than beef, but delivers over 40 grams of protein per serving!
2. Turkey Breast: Unlike the process sliced or grounded turkey you are familiar with from the grocery store, turkey breast is not only one of the leanest protein sources, but contains about 8 grams of quality protein per ounce.
3. Chocolate Milk: This source contains two types of protein: Casein and whey. Casein is a slow digesting protein that does wonders for preventing muscle breakdown and whey is a fast digesting protein that makes for speedy absorption.
4. Fish (Haddock, Cod, Salmon, Tilapia, Flounder, and Whiting): Most fish is a great source of high quality protein and delivers over 20 grams per 6 ounce on average. Not to mention, they are typically packed with supercharged omega-3 fats.
5. Whey Protein: This is the fastest absorbing protein and can become easily consumable for those of us who don’t have time for full meals at certain times. One serving of whey protein can contain over 50 grams of protein. Not to mention, it is typically low in fat and carbohydrates.
6. *BONUS* Eggs: Not only are they packed with riboflavin, folate, vitamins B6, B12, D, and E, and iron, phosphorus, and zinc, but you need less protein from eggs than other sources to achieve the same benefits.
Fats that’ll make you grow
1. Coconut Oil: The source of fat contains about 116 calories, 100 percent coming from essential fats. No weight lifter should go without this unique saturated fat.
2. Olive Oil: Not only is it great for cooking, but it prevents muscle breakdown by lowering levels of a sinister cellular protein called tumor necrosis factor-a, which is linked with muscle wasting and weakness. Not to mention, it is packed with calories from monousaturated fats
3. Almonds: Not only have almonds been shown to reduce risk of Alzheimer’s, but they are packed with a form of vitamin-E that is absorbed the best by our bodies. On top of that, almonds are a great source of essential fats and are very calorie dense foods. One handful can consist of almost 200 calories.
4. Macadamia Nuts: One cup of macadamia nuts delivers over 101 grams of healthy fats. If you break that down into calorie intake, you will see why this is a great choice for skinny guys.
5. Avocados: The fat content in this superfood is about 20 times that of any other fruit. However, its mainly the heart friendly monounsaturated type. This fat source is also jam packed with potassium…even more so than bananas. Not to mention it is packed with calories and will do wonders for skinny guys trying to bulk up.
Carbohydrates that’ll make you grow
1. Black Beans: One cup of black beans contains about 230 calories with less than 1 gram of fat and a whopping 15 grams of protein. With over 40 grams of carbohydrates, black beans are ideal for any hardgainer.
2. Quinoa: Just one cup of cooked quinoa will yield over 250 calories. With less than 5 grams of fat, almost 10 grams of protein, and close to 50 grams of carbs, quinoa should be a staple in any muscle building diet.
3. Potatoes: Just one potato contains almost 200 calories with less than 1 gram of fat. A great source of straight carbohydrate to add to any high protein source for an awesome meal.
4. Rice: Another calorie packed carbohydrate with less than 1 gram of fat per serving. Rice yields a whopping 45 grams of carbohydrates per serving, making this an easy choice for anyone trying to pack on some size.
5. Ezekiel Cereal: An organic sprouted whole grain flourless cereal that contains all organic sprouted ingredients. (Including: Whole wheat, malted barley, whole millet, whole barley, almonds, lentils, soybeans, spelt, sea salt, and filtered water)
There you have it, the top 15 super calorie/nutrient dense foods for rapid muscle gains. Each and every item on this list should be a regular part of any hardgainer’s diet.
If you are someone (like myself) who has trouble putting on any weight, no matter how hard you train or how much you eat, then make sure to download my Skinny Guy’s Guide to Muscle Mass, Bony to Brawny.